The 13th Venice International Architecture Biennale is just around the corner and the Australian exhibition entry for 2012 is ‘Formations; New Practices in Australian Architecture’. The exhibition is looking to highlight the remarkable versatility and innovation of non-standard practice types and their design out puts that are expanding the role of the architect.
Six architectural teams working in non-traditional ways and domains have been selected from around the nation, bringing skills and expertise from areas as diverse as robotic fabrication, government policy and indigenous housing. The featured teams are:
- Healthabitat (Paul Pholeros, Stephan Rainow, Paul Torzillo)
- Supermanoeuvre (Dave Pigram, Iain Maxwell, Chris Duffield)
- Richard Goodwin Pty Ltd (Richard Goodwin)
- 2112 Ai (100YR City) (Tom Kovac, Fleur Watson)
- The Architects Radio Show (Stuart Harrison, Simon Knott, Christine Philips, Rory Hyde)
- Archrival (Claire McCaughan, Lucy Humphrey)
These new practice formations will demonstrate to the world a particularly Australian mode of innovation and invention in the Australian pavilion at the Biennale.
The Australian Pavilion will be transformed into a “soft landscape of connections and possibilities”, featuring a series of installations or ‘formations’ responding to the light-filled, sculpted pavilion interior. Each installation will be designed as spaces of real world innovation.Focusing on actual projects and their impact, the pavilion will be a space of engagement in which viewers can interact and participate in architectural conversation at close quarters.
Venice Giardini and Arsenale
29th August to 25th November 2012
For more information visit: